Sunday, April 10, 2011

Stand up notes - see notes on spreadsheet about timeline

I still toy with the idea of doing a stand up comedy routine for an open mic night at the least once someday...

Sometimes when I decide I should try to get some sleep my racing mind says otherwise. Often times I am thinking about things to say to a group of strangers, and how to say it, to invoke laughter or at the least chuckles.

I am writing this now to get some idea notes out of my head so I can rest.

When my family saw the writing on the wall in California after the earthquake in 1971, we high-tailed it up to Oregon. That meant this little city girl with lots of kids my age in my neighborhood to play with, dropped to ZERO because they chose to live in the boonies. Most of these kids not only grew up together but their families had also grown up in this small town. This school, that I started the 3rd grade it was later referred to by my son and his father as the Little House on the Prairie School.

Now let me backtrack a little, I spend kindergarten and first grade at a large public school in California. We had more and more ESL (English as a second language students) so they required additional help. That meant that others of us fell by the wayside so I got into trouble numerous times because I didn't understand my homework. All I wanted was a little reassurance by my parents that I was doing it correctly and they were so determined to take the tough line that I sat up until 11pm sometimes crying because I didn't get it. If I did anything wrong in class. It was a ruler across the hand. Eventually my parents began to wonder why I had so much homework so they spoke with my teacher...finally. Discovering the truth, the next year I found myself in a private school. I was one happy camper! Their idea of discipline was to make you stand on a line and watch everyone else at recess. Hey that was nothing compared to being hit!

Homeroom Teacher was pissed off that I didn't find her engaging enough to keep me from staring out the huge set of windows with fall trees swaying in the wind on a beautiful sunny day on several occasions. Magic Paddle and a phone call to parents who were all for discipling me so they didn't have to....question: how many times does your father spank you? Thinking...he normally beats the crap of of me but I am not going to tell YOU people that...uh, once? Well we think it's more like 3. I was nervous about this thick bread board with holes hurting like hell but they were taps instead of spanking, there was a slight sting on the first...thinking...dang could you people do all of my discipling?

No comments:

Post a Comment