Thursday, March 24, 2011

Netflix has movie lending down! Now what about games? The competition stinks

I heard that Gamefly was the Netflix of video games. So, I decided to sign up last year 12/13/10 or so but realized that the two free weeks to try it out would be wasted because I was going on vacation to see my son and I wouldn't be around to try it out. My home only had WIIs at the time and my roommate had purchased games for her daughter for Christmas to play with over Christmas break. Anyway, I cancelled my free trial within a day or so and the young man I spoke with said no problem, "try" us again later.

Now to 3/20/11...my roommate was trying out Blockbuster for video game rentals on her own and complained of their service, as they didn't stick with her queue as if it is a rough guideline rather than a list to be followed (as long as nothing has a wait time or showed unavailable next to it) just like Netflix.

Well, since she was unhappy, I thought now would be a good time to give Gamefly a try. I signed up for the free trial, game them my credit card info to charge me after the free trial and she set up the queue. About 3/22/11 I discovered an email accusing me of deliberately trying to sign up for more than one free trial. So, I assumed that Gamefly would just charge me the monthly fee and stop the free trial. However, I composed an email to address in the issue but after several days, still no reply. Also, when my roommate got online 3/23/11 to see what the status was for her video games as her daughter is home for spring break and already bored so we were hoping to find games she can play and that we can play with her. Anyway, the gueue had been cleared and the account was put on hold, was how she described it.

So, in the meantime she was at the end of her Blockbuster free online trial so she decided she would get games faster as she already had a queue set up. She contact them so they would continue after the free trial.

I contact Gamefly and told this story. They said if I had used a different email address, the system wouldn't have known that I already signed up for a free trial. The customer service rep kept apologizing but I said it was too late. They had lost two customers actually and all because my account was cleared and put on hold because it seemed as though I had used a free trial already. Well, Gamefly, thanks for saving me money since you charge twice as much monthly, for two games out at a time, as Blockbuster and we didn't get a chance to see if your service was that much better...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the info. I found the details very helpful.

    paxil

    ReplyDelete