Monday, January 9, 2012

Communicating with me...

I relate to people by my own experiences so when someone brings up a subject that allows me to verbally share, not in an egotistical way but in an "I understand" way, that's what I do. My roommate and I have a deal, if she doesn't need to hear "a relating story" she lets me know by asking me to just listen. I prefer that people do that with me as picking up on social cues has been a life long challenge for me. Fortunately, if I am not sure what someone means these days, I try to ask for clarification, not because I am upset or needy or something, it is merely a way to keep communication flowing well. Some people seem to think and/or act like I am the one that should change or they assume I cannot change or that I should be psychic and KNOW what is meant, either way, it places the responsibility of communicatingeffectively all on me. It is said that "communication is a TWO way street" for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment